The word Meditation, is formed from two Latin words:
meditari ( to think, to dwell upon, to exercise the mind)
mederi ( to heal)
There are several definitions given for meditation and what it is. Here i will write based on my personal understanding and experience of practicing it.
Generally, it is considered that meditation is based on worshiping or prayer. It is not so!
Meditation to me is awareness. Meditation means to shift our awareness inwards, to explore, observe and communicate with our true inner self. It is turning inwards to free yourself from the chaos and distraction of the external world and constant chatter of your own brain.
Meditation is a technique to attain a state of consciousness, where the mind is free of scattered thoughts and their repeated patterns. In such a state, all the activity of the brain is reduced to one.
While meditating, when some thoughts come to your mind, don’t focus on them, don’t react to them, just observe them i.e. just be a Witness and let them pass, let go.
Meditation is a means of transforming the mind. With regular practice of proper techniques, the consciousness can be expanded to a great extent and you can easily reach state of deep meditation.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MEDITATION ?
There are numerous benefits of meditation which have been proven by scientific studies. Here i will list some major ones:
- Enhances emotional well being- one learns to be more calm, less anxious and fearful. Meditation also helps in decreasing depression.
2. Enriches your Soul, by guiding us towards our true essential nature of happiness, love and joy
3. Improved concentration levels
4. Attainment of Enlightenment or Supreme Bliss.
5. Reduction in stress level.
6. Improved general health and increased energy level, leading to more efficiency.
7. Improved immune system.
HOW MANY TYPES OF MEDITATIONS ARE THERE ?
Meditation techniques can be classified broadly under these five categories:
1. Concentration Meditation
2. Mindfulness Meditation
3. Reflective Meditation
4. Heart-centered Meditation
5. Creative Meditation
In my next post i will elaborate on different types of meditation.
BE BLESSED !